If you’re getting ready to call an orthodontist, you might have some questions about how the process works. Here is a step-by-step guide for you from Meadows Orthodontics in Castle Rock, Colorado (located next to Einstein Bagels):
1. RESEARCH FIRST! Before calling an orthodontist that you’re interested in, be sure and research them online.
– Do they have the hours you want?
-Are they Board Certified? (www.americanboardortho.com)
-Are they located in a convenient location (appointments are generally spaced out every 5-7 weeks, however, don’t forget about emergency appointments or extra appointments if your child is in need of an appliance, such as an expander)?
-Did the doctor specialize in orthodontics for 2-3 years after dental school?
These are just a few of the important questions to ask yourself before calling.
PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF YOU HAVE ORTHODONTIC INSURANCE, find out if the orthodontist you’re interested in PARTICIPATES in your dental plan. This means that the price will be capped on the top IN ADDITION to getting a benefit! This could save your thousands of dollars! Most everyone will “take” your insurance, but few actually participate.
2. WHEN YOU CALL be sure and find a good time for BOTH parents to attend, if at all possible. An investment in your or your child’s smile is FOREVER, and you are truly paying for the expertise of the orthodontist. It is virtually impossible to recreate a conversation when you return home and show your spouse an estimate, but having both parents at the consultation can help prevent confusion and help with the decision process. Most offices have things for your younger children to do, so do not hesitate to bring them alone!
ALSO – confirm that the appointment is complimentary and whether or not your child will need a panoramic x-ray. In addition, it is VERY important to give the office your dental insurance information because the office can call and confirm what your benefits are prior to you arriving. THIS IS CRITICAL IN RECEIVING AN ACCURATE ESTIMATE DURING YOUR VISIT. If you do not have orthodontic coverage, take heart… only about 35% of families do!
3. THE FORMS ARE ONLINE! If you want to save time, most offices have forms that you can print and fill out prior to arriving. If you don’t have the time to do this, the paperwork you’ll need to fill out at the time your arrive is minimal (less than 10 minutes).
4. ONCE YOU ARRIVE, your child will most likely have a panoramic x-ray unless you’ve arranged to have your dentist send a recent panoramic film to the orthodontist. The x-ray takes about 2 minutes to complete and you should go home with a copy at the end of the visit. Your child will also have pictures taken that assist the orthodontist in creating a treatment plan. You will get to take these home as well.
After the x-ray and pictures are taken, the exam with the orthodontist takes place. Take special note of how much time the orthodontist is willing to give you. Does he or she examine your child’s mouth for 5 minutes and then leave, or does he or she spend time with you? This is an important note to take when deciding how much personal attention you need throughout the treatment process.
Dr. Rejman makes it a priority to spend a great deal of time with a family so that your questions can be answered and the full treatment plan can be explained in great detail. He gives his personal cell phone to patients, and families are always welcome to call with post-consult questions as well.
5. Finally, the FINANCES are discussed with the Treatment Coordinator. This is your opportunity to hear what the cost of the treatment will be, what your insurance discounts or benefits will be, and what your payment options are. Meadows Orthodontics offers interest free financing and many payment options that will make your life easier over the next 12-24 months!
There! It’s that simple! To schedule a complimentary consultation today, call us at 303-660-0112. We are open from 8:45 AM – 5:00 PM every single day of the week AND we offer before school, evening and Saturday appointments!
Dr. Daniel Rejman is a Board Certified Orthodontic Specialist and treats children, teenagers and adults with traditional braces, Ceramic braces, Invisalign Teen and Adult Invisalign. He owns Meadows Orthodontics in Castle Rock, Colorado and is the only orthodontist at this practice. As a Castle Rock resident, he is very accessible for not only appointments, but for emergency appointments in the evening and on the weekends. Dr. Rejman was voted a TOP ORTHODONTIST by his dental peers as seen in 5280 magazine and has multiple awards and honors that can be seen at our website (www.meadowsorthodontics.c0m). Most importantly, we offer a warm and fun place for you and your children to receive orthodontic treatment! WELCOME!